Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pushing Playtime

First, I apologise to Terri Gold!
This post, like many of my others,
features a doll with messy hair.
I know this is a pet peeve of yours,
Terri.  If you read on a bit, you
may understand my position
a little better.

I was in WalMart with my
Dad, when I happened upon the clearance
isle.  (It's a lie.  I went there
deliberately and with purpose.)
I found a Liv wig and this
Bratz outfit.  (Actually,
I found two Bratz outfits,
but I'm trying to keep my spending
under control.  I put one back.)

Look at that price!
Could you have resisted?
How about if you love the trench
in most of its forms?

How about if you had a girl
at home who had nothing to
wear but a hastily knitted
bathing suit and some sandals that
don't match her skin tone?

Perhaps you are stronger than I.
I caved.

Fast forward.
I'm not sure if it's been
2 weeks or 3 -- or, maybe more.
Whether it be the time of year, other
factors  in my life, or a
combination, I have been less than
productive and not much
of a joy to be around.
I've been giving up.
One, two or three times
a day, I've been retreating to
my bed. 
Today, when I went to empty the
mailbox, I found
just a lovely day, out there.

I'm not an eager outdoor
lover.  I had to force
myself to find a reason to
get outside for a few minutes.
Remembering this
purchase, and that it was still
languishing in its plastic
bag, I grabbed the doll,
the camera and the package,
threw on my coat and
walked all the way to our
driveway.

I took pictures. 

I did not bother with my tripod.

I put my subjects in full sun.
(Yes, I know better.
I took the first spot I found to
set up on -- the trunk of my car.)

I did not brush the doll's hair.

And,
I thought of Terri.
Terri makes beautiful pictures.
I enjoy looking at her pictures.
My blog entries are inspired
(or not) by a variety
of thoughts and emotions.

Today, it was not perfection,
satisfaction or even
developing my skills.

Today, I pushed myself to play.

I'm glad I did.

I think it did me good.

Please note:  This is in no way
meant to say anything negative about
Terri Gold.  Quite the contrary,
if I wasn't sure she can handle
my odd sense of humor, I would never
have made this post!

4 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: I love the photos. Congratulations on your purchases. I have the same Bratz. Spring is near.
    ! keep in touch with blog blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marta. I don't know how to keep in touch with blog blog. I'll probably post a comment on your blog from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got out and had some fun, whatever inspired you to do so. Now you need to commit to trying to do this several times a week. You're worth it, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bama. Even when I don't feel I'm worth it, I sure feel that my family is worth it. :)

      Delete