Wednesday, June 13, 2012

BEWARE!

I may seem like the grandmotherly
type.  "Aunt Lou" may conjure
pictures of a cookie baking,
children's book reading
doll collector
who thinks of her dolls as children
and tries to see that they
have a good home
when they have to move along.
Well, this is true, somewhat.
I seldom bake cookies, now,
as I eat too many of them.
I still love children's books
and love to read to my
nieces and nephews of the
next generation.
-The first generation is
all grown up.-
I do hang on to too many dolls.
BUT
There is a dark side to my
doll gathering.
I buy porcelain dolls just
to rob them of their
clothes...
...also their wigs.
THEN
I take them to a local
flea market where they
are sold for 25 cents
to help out...
...I forget what.
That is, the lucky
ones go there.

Like these

Some even have their wigs on, still.

This week I was going through
my "rejects"
and I noticed that
one very pretty one
was not very well put together
at the neck.
I had a project in mind, so
I... well... I
um
pulled off her head.
I was about to set the other
four aside to travel,
when I thought of another
project I would like to try.
Thus...


Porcelain parts

and "three bodies in the trash."
which I had considered
using as the title for this post.
I decided it would
possibly get too much
attention from an
element I don't wish to attract,
so BEWARE! was selected
to warn away
poor little dolls whose
clothes are nice
because they may end up
in the flea market --
or worse!

10 comments:

  1. LOL! What a creative post! But what can we expect from someone who takes dolls apart and creates new ones? I have been guilty of doing some of those things myself! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Oh, good! I meant to be humorous. I laughed as I was posting. You never know how such things will come across. Now, to do something with them, rather than leave them boxed to gather dust (sad violin music, here.)

      Thanks for the laughing comment, Bama! :)

      Delete
  2. I do this all the time. Those cheap porcelain dolls have some pretty clothes and I rob them all the time and donate the naked dolls back to the thrift store. Fortunately there are those who feel sorry for them and buy them and take them home and redress them.
    betty
    doll-college.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Betty, we are not the only ones who buy dolls just for their clothing. I have bought a doll that had lost a limb or two for her clothing and saved her head, also. I think this is the first time I've actually torn apart whole dolls, though!
      Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Hello from Spain: I confirm that I also bought some toys for his or her clothing or accessories. I have a box full of dolls that I like ... but no clothes ... It comforts me is not the only one who does that. keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Marta, I guess we are not alone. Actually, I have known at least one collector who buys dolls that cost much more than mine, just to have the clothes. I bought a doll that I could not normally afford from her. Of course, she came with no clothes. :)

      Delete
  4. It's funny that you should have this post. My mom's friend just gave me a doll last weekend and it was a creepy looking porcelain doll. I had thought of stealing its outfit for another doll....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why not? I don't suggest tearing your doll limb from limb, but stealing her outfit is only mildly naughty. :) Now, if the doll is an antique, please treat it with respect. If it's one of those made by the million "special" porcelain dolls, does anyone really care? It is amazing how many dirty dreary dolls I find. They weren't special for very long.

      Delete
    2. I confess I've done it. And I've ripped off their wigs too. Wigs are not cheap. Most times the clothes and the wig is worth more than the porcelain doll! Re-cycling is in. Have a great July 4. Sylvia

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sylvia, you too! If I could figure out how to remake those wigs, they would be gold! :) I usually keep the wigs, too. Robbing their clothes and wigs -- that's not new, for me. Ripping up a whole doll -- that's new. :) Recycling! Yes! My house is full of recycling! :D

      Delete