Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Simple Skirt - with Elastic Waist

You'll need a doll and
a scrap of fabric.

Be sure the fabric is
big enough to go around
the doll and then some.
In other words,
you'll need seam allowance.
The fabric must be
longer than you want
the skirt to be, too.
You'll need extra for
the elastic sleeve at the
waist.  You may want
to put a hem in the
skirt, too.

Square up the fabric. 
I like to pull a thread and
cut along the line it leaves.
That is a slow method.
Any way you can
achieve a piece with
four 90 degree corners
is good.  If the edges
run square with the
grain of the fabric,
the seams and the finished skirt
are less likely to warp.

Sew up the back seam.
This fabric ravels easily
and is thin. 
I sewed a "french" seam.
That is a double seam.
I sew the seam with the
wrong sides together,
then trim it, turn the skirt
inside out and sew again,
hiding the cut edges inside
the seam.
Pressing is a good idea.
I was in too much haste!

Turn down the top of the tube to
make a casing for the elastic.
Turning under the edge of the
casing to hide the cut edge makes
a nicer look and keeps that fraying down.
Stitch the casing. 
Be sure to leave a space
for stringing the elastic through.

This is what it looks like.

String the elastic through the
casing.  Baby elastic is good
for small doll clothes.
I used elastic cord. 
(This skirt is not meant to be
beautiful.)
For methods of stringing
elastic, check other sources.
If you don't find anything,
I'll try to cover that, too.

As an alternative,
sew the elastic into a loop
and fold the skirt top
down over it, then 
stitch the fabric down. 
There are other methods
for adding elastic.
Well, I can think of one...

Be sure to fit the elastic
so that is will stretch over
the doll's hips.

Stitch the elastic firmly together.
In this case, (or casing?)
I tied the elastic cord.

Check the fit.

Turn the skirt right side out.
I left mine fringed.
Turning a hem gives a nice,
finished look.
If I do turn a hem, remembering
to do it before I put in
the elastic makes it easier to press
the hem.

Turn the seam to the center back.
This skirt sure could use a press!

Sliding the skirt up over
the bust makes it into
a simple top.  If it is
long enough, it could be
a dress.  Adding a
belt gives it some shape.

This is the first kind of skirt
I remember sewing.
We also would wrap
a piece of cloth around a
doll, then pin it or tie a strip
of cloth or a piece of yarn
around it.
The other no sew skirt we
made was a circle with a 
tiny hole cut into the center.

Now, I had intentions of 
doing a step-by-step for
my two rectangle skirt.
I made one and took the pictures.
I'm still working on the instructions.

6 comments:

  1. James, you have inspired me! Making a nicer looking skirt is no trick, at all. I'll try to get that done, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice of you to include instructions. You're a gem! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bama. :) James has inspired me. When I first got on the Internet and saw what was/is going on in the doll world, I was somewhat intimidated. I'm glad to find that some folks like my simple approach, as well.

      Delete
  3. Hello from Spain: thank you for showing this tutorial sewing a skirt. I love the end result. Barbie is very pretty with the new pink skirt. Some time ago I tried to sew but I'm very bad. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could sew this skirt, or another skirt for Barbie, Marta. :) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for saying so, James. I hope you can find some fun in making doll clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete